Monday, June 11, 2007

June 11, 2007 (Day 2)

Today we rode from El Centro California to Gila Bend, Arizona. Mileage-wise, this was the 2nd to the longest day. I should learn to never trust the weather forecast. Last night all the riders were excited because 10 to 15 mile winds from the west were forecast, but when we began riding this morning, the wind was coming from the east – blowing right against us. This made the first half of the ride pretty tough. But by mid-afternoon the wind had swung around and was blowing from the southwest, so we got a little help. Three must be my lucky number, as once again, I was the third rider into the motel today. The two riders ahead of me, Marc Pattinson from NY and Charles Breer from St Paul are very strong. I knew if I tried to keep up with them I would have made me too tired for the days ahead. The ride today was basically across the desert, mostly flat, with only two short climbs. But it was very hot. I was on the bike from 5:30 am to 5:00 pm, making for a long, hot day. After a big dinner at a local Italian restaurant, however, I’m feeling refreshed and looking forward to tomorrow’s ride to Globe, Arizona.